The Old Southeast Neighborhood is proud of its rich diversity. The focal point and eastern boundary of the neighborhood is Lassing Park, fronting Tampa Bay from 16th to 22nd Avenues Southeast. Its landscaping has recently been upgraded with palms and native plants clustered at the ends of avenues. It is a beacon for any who seek the delight of fishing as well as space for games and walking. Another showplace of the neighborhood is Bayboro House, a bed and breakfast, which the city designated a historical landmark in 1994.
The Old Southeast Neighborhood began in mid-1950. Founders C.A. Harvey and A.F. Freeman’s Bayboro Investment Co. bought the land east of 4th Street between 7th and 19th Avenues South around Booker and Salt Creeks and Bayboro Harbor. Mr. Henry’s built what is now Bayboro Bed & Breakfast, and resided there while the company continued to develop the area. Another early resident, Judge Robert B. Lassing, donated waterfront land to the city in 1924. Yet did so with the promise that any structures on it are to be used for park purposes. The city acquired additional land in 1926, 1944, and 1945 for the park. On January 8, 1942, Lassing Park was dedicated. It has continued to provide enjoyment and beauty to residents and visitors.